SHTF is a popular acronym used to describe a worst case scenario. Many have heard of it, but how many actually know what it stands for?
It stands for “shit hits the fan” and is used as a term to explain what happens when things go from bad to worse.
In most cases, it refers to a breakdown in society and the consequences that follow as a result of such an event. It is commonly used among preppers and survivalists to describe a situation where things have gotten so bad that you need to be prepared for anything.
A SHTF catastrophic event, you could not only be forced to survive without modern amenities (and the comforts they provide). You will need be mentally and physically ready for anything that could happen as a result of such an event.
What Does SHTF Mean?
A number of different events could cause a SHTF situation, such as natural disasters, pandemics, terrorist attacks, economic collapse or even political chaos or social unrest.
The point is that such events lead to a situation where people and governments are no longer able to maintain order and provide basic services. In such a scenario, you would have to rely on yourself for everything and have the skills to survive in the worst conditions imaginable.
Most preppers use the acronym SHTF as shorthand for a worst-case scenario, like a financial collapse that leads to food shortages. They use it to plan for events that could render everyday life dangerous or impossible, like a civil war.
How To Prepare For SHTF
Before we discuss the reasons why SHTF can happen – it’s important to note that it’s vital to get prepared for such an event. When SHTF, you want to be as prepared as possible to ensure that you and your family are as safe as possible.
In order to do this, you need to have a basic understanding of the different situations that could lead to SHTF. By knowing what could happen, you can then better plan for how to prepare for such an event.
SHTF Situations To Look Out For
- Natural Disasters: Natural disasters happen all over the world every day. From hurricanes in Southeast Asia, to earthquakes in California, floods in Bangladesh, and volcanic eruptions in East Africa, these events can cause a breakdown of society and lead to SHTF.
- Pandemics: These can be man-made or naturally occurring viruses that spread quickly and cause millions of deaths each year. Diseases like COVID 19, Ebola, HIV/AIDS and now Monkeypox are examples of pandemics.
- Economic Collapse: This can happen either due to a collapse of the financial system, hyperinflation, or even a government-controlled shutdown. This would be similar to what happened in Venezuela and other countries.
- Political Chaos/Social Unrest: This could happen in any country where the government is unable to maintain order. It could be due to a military coup, political unrest, racial violence or any other event that causes people to take up arms.
- Nuclear/Biochemical Attack: This can happen in any country where people have access to biological and chemical weapons. It’s important to keep in mind that biological or chemical warfare could kill millions of people and render large regions of the world uninhabitable.
- Cyber Attack: An increasing number of people are becoming aware of cyber threats and the risks that they pose. A cyber attack could either be a malicious attempt to hack into important computer systems or an attempt to shut down the internet.
Reasons For A SHTF Event
A SHTF event occurs when people and governments are no longer able to maintain order due to a number of reasons, including the ones listed above. In such a scenario, it’s vital that you be prepared to survive without modern amenities and basic necessities, such as food, water, shelter and a means to defend yourself.
Now, the most important question is how to prepare for such an event?
Well, the first step towards surviving a SHTF situation is to have a plan. You should have a basic understanding of what you’ll need to do and which supplies you’ll need to survive such an event.
Basic SHTF Supplies To Have
- Stockpile Food and Water : This is one of the most basic preparations you need to make before any SHTF event. You should have at least 1 month worth of food and water stored in a cool, dry location. Ideally a basement or a room that is not affected by temperature changes-NEVER a garage.
- Stockpile Basic Supplies: In addition to food and water, you will need basic necessities. Example would include medicine, clothing, hygiene supplies and tools. The more supplies you have, the better prepared you’ll be for a SHTF event.
- Get a Plan for Your Family: Make sure that everyone in your family is on the same page the event of a disaster. You should be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice and know where to meet if you are not together.
- Prepare Your Place of Work: If you work in a high-risk profession, you should have a basic plan for what to do in the event of a SHTF scenario. If you wear a suit to the office, have a ‘get home kit‘: a change of clothes, walking shoe and other essentials in the event you have to walk all the way home.
- Have Your Emergency Kits Ready: Each member of the family, including your beloved pets, should have an emergency kit with the basics to survive a minimum of 72 hours. This includes having a fully stocked first aid kit and basic medicines to treat minor injuries to a basic stomach flu.
Aftermath Of A SHTF Situation
If you’ve managed to survive a SHTF event, you’ll likely now be struggling to survive in the aftermath. Any type of collapse or a SHTF event, people will likely try to turn to crime in order to survive. In such a scenario, you’ll need to take steps to defend yourself and your family.
Your emergency kit is what will get you by the next few days while help arrives (if it does). When an emergency strikes and evacuation is required, you can grab the kit on the way out the door. The goal of an emergency kit is to get you through the next 3 days after an emergency. The kit should be complete and ready and waiting within a home or vehicle.
The police, fire department and FEMA may not get to your area aftermath of such an event. Have prepared a basic plan for how to get food and water in the aftermath of a SHTF event. This means having having multiple backup water plans to survive.
Your non-perishable pantry could run out of food. Have a good supply of seeds for your survival garden. Regardless of space, you can easily grow food even in the smallest of spaces using growing bags or garden containers. Believe me, it takes practice. So start learning now!
A SHTF event could happen at any time. It’s important to be prepared for such an event by having a good supply of basic necessities, such as food, water and supplies. You should also have a basic plan for what to do in the event of a SHTF scenario.
If you’ve been prepared for a SHTF event, you’ll be better prepared to survive and thrive after such an event. That’s why it’s important to get prepared for a SHTF event before it happens.
Keep in mind that we may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.